Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sonnet of Winter (for the kids;)



Reluctant, defeated, autumn succumbs

To winter’s purposed and powerful grip

Stealthily sleek, silver silencing numbs

The ends of our noses and fingertips

Harshly the wind rakes its talons of steel

Over the cusp of the leafy-fringed ponds

Somewhere up yonder it touches a wheel

Showering the earth with quadrillion diamonds

Winter ah, winter, the predisposed foe

Open your pockets and bring on the snow


Pull out your mittens and dust off your sled

Bundle your babies in jackets of fleece

Starry-eyed children with cheeks painted red

Shrieking and rolling in winter’s release

Frosty the snowman returns to his post

Corn pipe and blue scarf to ward off the chill

Miniature angels in unnumbered hosts

Cover the rooftop and valley and hill

Tumbling and twirling and spiraling down

Winter returns in her star-studded gown


Spring, summer, autumn, green, azure and gold

Planting and pruning and gathering harvest

Winter is pure white, and brings with the cold

A season of quieting and of rest

Gather your loved ones around the warm hearth

Warmer is love when the fretting winds blow

Winter is keeping the seed in the earth

Warming its bed with a blanket of snow

Its days are as numbered as all other things

Winter; the glorious harbinger of spring

Janet Martin


oops, it began snowing as I wrote this. I hope I didn't jinx the weather.

Victoria just got home and she is so excited because it snowed for a little bit...
I wrote this for her:)

http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2011/11/thursday-think-tank-74-winter.html


14 comments:

  1. I read this in a nice warm house with the sun shining down and temperatures in the 50s. Winter may be the harbinger of spring, but your last line isn't enough to stop my shivering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a a wonderful description of winter. Here we had our first snow, about 5" yesterday, and your lines are resonating with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is snowing in earnest right now. The fire is roaring and I'm pretending to be excited for my 10 year old daughter's sake:((): I said a few weeks ago, Mike that my perpetual shiver has begun...it ens in approx. April, sigh.

    Emily is 19 and driving to school early every morning and suddenly she hates winter too. Sometimes I think its not so much the season here, as the driving we hate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely images of winter and form too~

    Yhese lines resonate with me:

    Warmer is love when the fretting winds blow

    Winter is keeping the seed in the earth

    Warming its bed with a blanket of snow

    Its days are as numbered as all other things

    Winter; the glorious harbinger of spring

    ReplyDelete
  5. vibrant winter words,

    you always impress us.
    best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter is keeping the seed in the earth

    Warming its bed with a blanket of snow

    Its days are as numbered as all other things

    This spoke volumes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, thank-you for 'seeing' beneath the blanket of words...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you Blossom, for your visit and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet I love your view, just wonderful~! I loved so many lines, but these ones stuck with me:

    "Stealthily sleek, silver silencing numbs

    The ends of our noses and fingertips

    Harshly the wind rakes its talons of steel

    Over the cusp of the leafy-fringed ponds"

    so visually stunning~ Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Beautiful imagery, you create such beauty with your words, it is a pleasure to spend time with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, thank-you so much for you visit and your kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!