Thursday, June 28, 2012

Heart-thief



It is not a swift wrenching from my grasp
Or my chest
As you steal my heart
No.
It is a patient sort of tender anguish
Probing,
Pondering
Sweet and slow,
It is rendered in sudden
Intake of breath
A smile
A tear
A sigh
It trembles beneath me
Deep in the earth
As I look into your eyes
For I know full well
That parting lurks
Somewhere, in quiet wait
I hear it in the creaking
Of the rusty garden gate
And how your step
Falls heavier
Than when you were a lad
It makes me fully happy
And oh,
So fully sad
To know that you are stealing
With my blessing
Part by part
The deep
Innermost lining
Of your
Mother’s
Heart

© Janet Martin 

We attended our son's grade Eight graduation ceremony today.
What a great bunch of kids. 
What a beautiful age...

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!How can it be??? He is a handsome young man...Congrats,I'm sure it went well,aren't you glad they don't take our hearts all at once but layer by layer..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing young man. And Valedictorian to boot! I was proud for you! And so thrilled to realize that he and Connor are best buddies.
    This was such a beautiful tribute to Matthew and such emotion in every line. Brought back memories! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!