Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ode to the Year





Farewell; though you were barren but a year ago
You have borne your ordinance of victory and woe
Into the urn of no return I place your memory
There is no future in the past of nevermore will be

Farewell; the passion I perceived when first I touched your gown
Has fallen where the autumn trees have laid their burnished crown
You teased into fruition my clenched dreams of yesterday
While, softly with your other hand you stole its gleam away

Farewell; your fringe is fading, cold, gold pool against the west
Your virgin garment splattered with my crass, clumsy caress
Though fain I still would kiss your feet, you slip into the blue
The pain of love is bittersweet; where is the proof of you?

Farewell; upon the wind you ride, obscure and potent force
While we await with baited hope your forerunners discourse
Within past’s permanence you seal your four-season embrace
And never turn to kiss the farewell teardrops from my face

Farewell; oh tender gift of grace from life's Giver above
Into bygones vast ethereal place is but yesterday's love
And from compassion's bowers hallowed mercy floods the sphere
As He imparts from hope's ramparts, to us, another year


© Janet Martin


2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful....as always Janet!

    Wishing you a joyful New Year full of love and His grace!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Denise,

    I wish you a year filled with the richness that only His love can bring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!