Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday Thoughts of Praise





Thank-you God for eyes to see
The beauty of the winter tree
Serenely sketched, blue on white snow
Or etched against the sunset’s glow
You thrill our humble, hungry gaze
With nature’s tried and tested ways
And as each season sweeps the sod
We see glimpses of You, oh God

Thank-you God, for ears to hear
Your powers drench the atmosphere
Wind in the willow, free and wild
Pure, carefree laughter of a child
Each season-surge original
The moody midnight madrigal
The canticle of nature’s laud
Are whispers of Your voice, oh God

Thank-you God, for arms to hold
Our children when life’s storms are cold
For in the warmth their hug imparts
We feel You touch our heart of hearts
And we can bear the searing ache
Of moments when our hearts would break
But for the hands that reach to heal
The hurts only a heart can feel

Oh, taste and see the wonder of
The One who fills us with His love
Oh, taste God’s mercy and His grace
Redemption’s sweet, sweet promises
Oh, see and hear and touch and taste
The beauty of each moment’s haste
Drawing us nearer to the Light
When faith at last will become sight

© Janet Martin

See: For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Hear: Then he said, "Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand." Mark 4:9

Touch; He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Ps. 147:3

Taste: Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Ps. 34:8

Victoria and I were driving home around supper-time today marveling at God's beautiful handiwork ; the stunning simplicity of a winter's dusk. After supper I pulled up a blank page and jotted down the four lines that bounced their way home with me. As Victoria and I worked on some preparations for her birthday on Saturday every so often I would wander out and peg down a few more thoughts. By Victoria's bedtime I had 'felt' my way through the first two stanzas, but I didn't start with the 'touch' verse because there are so many, many things one feels; then Victoria stole up behind me, wrapped her arms around my neck, hugged me long and hard and whispered, 'Mom, I hope this hug writes a really good poem for you'; the next stanza fell from my finger-tips/heart before her touch cooled.

Oh God, tune my heart to sing your praise
and never let it falter
Teach me to fully trust Your ways
and lay mine on Your altar










2 comments:

  1. I really like the Victoria inspired verse. Maybe you and she can sit side by side and write a poem together. Forgive me if you've already done this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you TUG. It's my favorite too;) I have asked her if she would like to and her answer is something like, ' maybe sometime, but not right now'. Thank-you for reminding me to ask her again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!