Monday, September 2, 2013

Choosing Thankfulness





How sad to think that I would miss
The halo of fair morning’s mirth
Or raindrop’s silver-spangled kiss
Slipping from heaven down to earth
Or laughter of a little child
Reminding us that hope remains
Or else, the night wind, keen and wild
A wanderer on charcoal plains

How sad to think I would not see
The gladsome beauty of the hour
Nature’s soulful intimacy
As it relinquishes its flower
The smiles that greet me as I pass
Love’s gifts that pour in mute free-fall
Diamond of dew on every grass
The sense of God beneath it all

How sad to forfeit heaven’s best
Thirsting for Things beyond my need
How futile were my every quest
Beneath the rod of wanton greed
And while the hand of Love imbues
Our numbered days with boundless grace
How sad if I should turn and choose
The gods of dust to take His place

How sad to think that I would take
The coldness of material gain
Rather than a sincere handshake
Or mercy’s Presence in my pain
How pitiful my morbid state
If I should journey to my grave
Wasting away beneath the weight
Wishing for things I did not have


© Janet Martin

Thank-you Scott, for the reminding us of what is truly important.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Ps. 107:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!