Monday, May 26, 2014

Where Plain Duty Lies




 Dawn excites the morning skies where a world of Duty lies, Pray, before its memories drift, oh, we do not waste this gift!

Sometimes, where my plain Duty lay
I turned my head the other way
And whispered words with pretty eyes
Believing my self-wrought disguise
Declining love’s soul-surgery
Of patient humility

…but I could never bar the guilt
That mocked me beneath night’s quilt
Or pretend away truth’s stealth
Unable to fool myself
For the key to happy living
Lies not in getting, but giving

Somewhere mercy’s benefactor
Quiets accusation’s actor
Though, like Peter I denied
Love’s plain Duty, grace replied
Replenishing life’s sin-stained awning
With a gift of faultless dawning

Today, where my plain Duty lies
Pray I do not close my eyes
Nor seek to absolve its tug
With some fantasy I hug
Lord, this day help me to prove
The meek mission of true love

© Janet Martin

 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. 1 Cor.3:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!