Wednesday, July 15, 2015

In General...





Life, in general, allows lessons
Some, we never would ask for
But God knows our human-nature
Tendency; how we ignore
Him when things go just like we like it
So now and again He sends
Lessons, seemingly unpleasant
Yielding wisdom in the end

We, in general, best remember
Not those times when life was smooth
But the slips, the scrapes and mishaps
That no one would ever choose
Yet God, kind and wise and holy
Allows us Experience
Lending us life’s bumps and bruises
To shape meek obedience

God, in general, does not tell us
All His wherefores and His whys
What seems to us like misfortunes
Oft are blessings in disguise
So instead of blaming Him for
That which we cannot full see
We, in general should be thankful
Learning love’s humility

© Janet Martin

I wondered what the guy behind me in his new BIG, shiny truck thought as he followed the old, beat-up mini-van out after we both dropped our boys off at their summer farm job.
…but I never did want this bumper fixed;
It is a reminder of a morning when my wrong attitude caused a reckless and impatient backing up (in an empty church-parking lot!!) beside a garbage bin…and I hit it!

 "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin;
 yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."…Exodus 34:6-7

4 comments:

  1. "Learning love's humility" is a wonderful line, but do be careful, please, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank-you...this 'scar' is over 4 years old:) when people smile sympathetically and say , oh dear, kids learning to drive, right?' I say 'yes' but this was their mother:))

      Delete
  2. I backed out of the garage without looking behind me because I was angry and ran into my daughter's car. My car wasn't damaged, but hers was. Expensive lesson in self-control and humility.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!