Thursday, February 23, 2017

Because We Pass This Way ...But Once



Because We Pass This Way… But Once


I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Etienne de Grellet
Quaker Missionary



Because we pass this way but once
And know only that which we learn
And learn only that which we earn
Through ephemeral experience

…because we never finish learning
We learn to appreciate
With kinder eyes and slower gait
This one-way path of no-returning

Because we are equipped with need
We need each other to lean on
Where each day, like a stepping-stone
Suffers the spawn of word and deed

Because we cannot retrace days
With more than wish or gratitude
We should practice an attitude
Of awe for mercy’s faithful ways

© Janet Martin

Running a little low on awe?!
Get acquainted with a child...

Speaking of leaning on each other...or being 'knit together'...a beautiful post here!

3 comments:

  1. A lovely poem, Janet, that speaks volumes about the importance of kindness towards others and how vital it is to be practiced as part of one's everyday existence 'because we pass this way but once'.

    Happy weekend,
    Poppy
    P.S.: Love your adorable collage of cuties!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank-you. These little ones can make me ever so tired but ever so happy! Kids are SO themselves and SO lovable.

      Delete
  2. So true and beautifully expressed

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!