Sunday, May 14, 2017

Treasure Your Mother



 This poem was made possible because a daughter became a mother,
and now I see not only through daughter's forgetful, well-intentioned embrace
  but also through a mother's devoted and forgiving grace

  My mother and her daughters on my mom's most recent birthday
(Mom on far right then us girls standing in order from oldest to youngest)

Treasure your mother
And while you still have her
Tell her you love her
Again and again
Who knows which morrow
May turn into sorrow
When oft you will hunger
To tell her, in vain

Talk to your mother
Dear son and dear daughter
She fed, clothed, held you
And tucked you to rest
So while you still have her
Be kind; don’t forget her
For she like no other
Desires your best

Cherish your mother
Her life’s love and labor
Deserves highest honor
Where memory imparts
The echoes that weather
What none can untether
For she lives forever
In her children’s hearts

© Janet Martin

I have many friends who’ve bid their dear mothers
Their final earthly farewell
Forbid we leave our thank-yous unuttered
And mourn, too late the words we did not tell

Another Mother's Day poem here, by Ann Taylor

 Happy Mother's Day 
 

8 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Janet!

    Thank you for the poem, and for sharing a very special photograph -- you all look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day to you too...
      you make me think of all the daughter's who cannot just 'hop next door' to visit mother (shame on me for not doing it more!!). hugs.

      This is a special photo. thank-you:)

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness for Skype! Just talked to my family in Moscow.

      Delete
    3. yay!! Skype a definite 'pro' in the technology dept.!

      Delete
  2. Happy Mother's Day and thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. a definite count-my-blessings day! thank-you Trish.

      Delete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!