Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blue...




To write away sorrow
And missing you
Are more than a pen
Is able to do

To smooth from my mind
Your eyes and your lips
Are tasks far too heavy
For mere fingertips

What, oh what is a girl to do
When all she is can think about
Is blue?

To drain from my longing
The sound of your laugh
Is like pouring the ocean
Into a glass

The spirit is willing
The flesh is weak
I cradle your memory
Against my cheek

What, oh what is a girl to do
When all she is able to be
Is blue?

Moments compile
Like they don’t even care
That history expands
Twixt my ‘here’ and your ‘there’

To dance with a memory
Is bittersweet bliss
But it isn't the same
Without your kiss

Blue, blue, blue,
What, oh what is a girl to do
When all she is able to touch
Is blue?


© Janet Martin

15 comments:

  1. "To drain from my longing
    The sound of your laugh
    Is like pouring the ocean
    Into a glass"

    Loved this image especially in your lovely song. The refrain really works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice! my poem for this prompt has a similar meter and rhyme. i wonder why??

    ReplyDelete
  3. These words read as the lyrics to a song - all you need is the singer! Beautiful evocation of the word "blue".
    I was struck particularly by the same stanza that Susan has copied in her comment - lovely impossibility suggested there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how we all become familiar with the color blue.......sigh. You have written Blue well:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have written such a moving piece...blue strikes us all and sometimes we can't live outside the color...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know the answer. But I enjoyed reading your take on Marian's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... 'twixt my ‘here’ and your ‘there’ ~ magical line in a lovely poem. I feel the BLUE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was very much like singing the blues. Nothing hurts more than losing in love.
    Very nice piece of lyrical prose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To drain from my longing
    The sound of your laugh
    Is like pouring the ocean
    Into a glass


    I just LOVE this visual!! Great writing my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like the ocean in a glass stanza, but this one did it for me:
    Moments compile
    Like they don’t even care
    That history expands
    Twixt my ‘here’ and your ‘there’

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely, feels like a song with chorus. I like the thought of drinking the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bluetiful! I love it...it needs to be a song :D

    "To drain from my longing
    The sound of your laugh
    Is like pouring the ocean
    Into a glass"

    Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to read those of yours that I have missed! Life has taken an unexpected turn for a few days:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!