Monday, January 7, 2013

Of Hunger and Hauntings





(I first saw this picture last winter and it has haunted me...)

Lord, give us a heart for the hungry...


A vulture watches a starving child [1993]

“The prize-winning image: A vulture watches a starving child in southern Sudan, March 1, 1993.
Carter’s winning photo shows a heart-breaking scene of a starving child collapsed on the ground, struggling to get to a food center during a famine in the Sudan in 1993. In the background, a vulture stalks the emaciated child.
Carter was part of a group of four fearless photojournalists known as the “Bang Bang Club” who traveled throughout South Africa capturing the atrocities committed during apartheid.
Haunted by the horrific images from Sudan, Carter committed suicide in 1994 soon after receiving the award.”


'Don’t slink away now
With your head slightly bowed
While the taste of my blood
Smears your indulgent lips
Don’t splatter vain words
With your greed-polished swords
And cry ‘Lord, have mercy’
As my suffering drips
To your gaze in red pools
While a circus of fools
Sadly wags their heads
In feigned piety
As hunger and hurt
Lie with me in the dirt
Pitiful comrades
To my misery'

© Janet Martin

1 comment:

  1. Rightly said..no spatter of words or piety feigned could take away those children's suffering..

    Nice and simple blog and poetry :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!