Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Joy-search





She sought for joy to find its cup
And even as the earth woke up
She glimpsed it in the far abyss
That broke night’s fetter with a kiss


But then the laughter of the day
Seized morning’s troubadour away
Where joy turned down the hurried path
Of daily care where children laugh


…and mother’s hold and scold, repeat
And farmers glean their gold in wheat
Near by the pond the dreamer dreams
Close to the pulse of joy, it seems


While ever eager moments chase
This summer day to its last place
Joy spills in frills from flowerpots
On window-sills and garden-plots


 And over streets while Wall Street yearns
Coveting joy and its returns
But cannot find its hidden seed
Among the clamoring of greed


 Yet on a bubble etched in blue
While children cheered, ah, there she knew
Joy is no fragile, rainbow sphere
Brief bliss before betrayal’s tear

  
For lo, amidst life’s brokenness
Joy still refills our happiness  
She found it then, her search subdued
Joy is a heart of gratitude

 © Janet Martin 

 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. Ps. 28:7





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for stopping by my porch! I hope you were blessed!